Thursday, August 9, 2007

Eggs in Purgatory

My husband and I stopped eating meat on Fridays altogether. I suspect this is more of a penance for him than for me; I love vegetables & fish, but he grew up very meat-and-potatoes. Here's something he really likes, called Eggs in Purgatory. The "purgatory" part is spicy gravy (non-Italians read: tomato sauce), but if you prefer gravy that isn't spicy, it's still good.

2 eggs per person
2 slices Italian bread per person
gravy to cover, at least 1c per person
butter or olive oil
grated romano cheese (or parmesan if you like that better)

Warm the gravy in a saucepot. While it's heating, lightly butter or oil the bread slices. Put them under the broiler or on a George Forman grill to brown. Fry 2 eggs per person in butter.

To plate: lay the browned bread on the plate. Top each slice with a fried egg, then ladle over the gravy. Sprinkle with grated cheese & serve.

YES. This is good. Try it!

No comments: